We hope you’ve been staying warm this week. Our area suffered another “polar vortex” this week, dropping temperatures to 0, and wind chills to -20 degrees. However, the temperatures improved for a few days this weekend, providing a much needed respite from the cold–especially considering that they are now calling for a heavy snowstorm Monday morning.
This week, snow or no snow, our Winter CSA members will be able to enjoy market-style offerings for their CSA bag this week. We are so happy this has become so popular with our members, and we look forward to offering similar market-style choices with full CSA shares later during the growing season. This week, our featured item is more of our yummy tofu, made with organic, non GMO soybeans that we grew ourselves. If you’re interested in joining us for CSA’s, whether it’s an WInter monthly share or a full season’s share, go to the CSA tab on this page for more information!
We posted a poll last week where we asked you to help us choose the names for our two latest baby bucklings, and the winners were Frigid and Frostbite–perfectly named considering the freezing temperatures! Thanks to all who participated!
Remember–we have been holding classes based on traditional skills and crafts. We also have been attending the Juniata Indoor Farmers’ Market in Altoona, PA on Thursdays. Follow our Events page here or our Facebook page for more information! We are in the process of putting together a product list/price list for this website, and also a page showcasing our handmade goats’ milk soaps. Bear with us–these will be completed soon!
Here is a recipe for Pan-Fried Tofu. Our office manager made it with her tofu from a few weeks ago, and found it to be an excellent choice for those unfamiliar with using tofu as an ingredient in their everyday cooking. (Original source: http://www.pbs.org/parents/kitchenexplorers/2012/09/13/pan-fried-asian-tofu/)
Recipe: Pan-Fried Asian Tofu
- Prep Time: 5 min(s)
- Cook Time: 10 min(s)
- 12 oz package medium-firm tofu
- Canola or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chives or scallions
- Remove the tofu from its package. Cut the block in half and then into ½-inch slices.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Fry the tofu for 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove the tofu from the pan and place them on a serving plate.
- Add the broth, Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and sriracha to the pan and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and chives.
Have a wonderful week!