Hello, everyone! Here is what you can expect in your Winter CSA bags this week:
-a 10 inch handmade holiday wreath (the ones pictured are a bit bigger than what you will receive, but you will be able to have an idea of what they might look like)
-a homemade baguette, made with our own grains and flour
-and a pint of frozen organic pumpkin (some of our pumpkins, pre-freezing, of course)
So, you will have a wreath for some holiday cheer, and now all you need is a good meal for a Winter’s day. If you ask me, pairing the baguette with some homemade pumpkin bisque sounds absolutely divine, so we’re including a recipe for Spicy Pumpkin Bisque (from Parade Magazine). You can use our thawed pumpkin in place of the canned pumpkin in the recipe.
(Before I leave you with the recipe, a reminder–The week of Christmas, we will have farm pick up on Tuesday, Christmas Eve, rather than Wednesday. Bags will be ready by noon on Christmas Eve. Cumberland pick up will remain on Friday. Also, we are still selling gift certificates for our Winter CSA shares–you can purchase a month for $50.00, or a half month (two weeks) for $25.00. Give the gift of healthy, local, organic produce this year!)
On to the recipe…….
SPICY PUMPKIN BISQUE
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- ½ (15-oz) can pure pumpkin
- 1 tsp canned adobo or hot sauce
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Warm olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until browned, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in rice and heat through, about 2 minutes.
- Add pure pumpkin, adobo or hot sauce, and vegetable broth and bring to a simmer; cook 5 minutes. Working in batches, transfer to a blender and puree.